“The ASU is responsible for the District’s strategy to develop both Archery and Shooting so that they become a regular occurrence on the programmes of all Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers & Network in Mersey Weaver”.
The Target Sports ASU exists to deliver, develop and advise the following Activities:
Target archery is an internationally-recognised sport which features in both the Commonwealth and Olympic Games. This is the most popular form of the sport where, as its name suggests, participants shoot at static targets in order to score points. The size of target used, and the distance over which they are shot at, varies. A round consists of a number of ends of arrows. This is the number of arrows that each archer shoots prior to the scores being recorded and the arrows collected. When shooting indoors, ends normally consist of three arrows, and outdoors, six.
In order to achieve consistent scores, the archer aims to ensure that they are consistent in what they do for every shot. This includes standing in the exact same position, drawing the bowstring back the same distance, aiming at the same spot and so on. Many archers only ever compete against themselves, aiming to better their own personal best scores. Others will enter competitions and tournaments at local club level, county level or even national level.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting
As in many aspects of athletics, shooters compete as much against themselves for the satisfaction of improving their own performance as to be ‘the best on the day’. Shooting is both an individual and a team sport and is one in which people of both genders and a very wide age range can compete on equal terms. The sport can be enjoyed by wheelchair users and, with modified equipment, by the blind. Success in the sport involves learning fine control of the body and, less obviously, also of the mind in order to overcome the stresses of competition.
To book an Archery Session
To book a Shooting Session
For more info about the hire of our Archery Equipment
Target Sports ASU aims to:
- promote the benefits and uptake of archery and air rifle/pistol sessions in the District;
- promote the District’s Leadership Development Fund;
- support additional adults in the district to gain an archery permit or NSRA qualification for air rifle so more young people can experience these activities;
- share best practice and educate how to run activities safely;
- provide a pool of permit holders willing to run archery sessions for others in the District and/or camping at QCW;
- provide a pool of NSRA air rifle/pistol YPS Tutors willing to run sessions for others in the District;
- organise regular experiences and tasters for adults to develop their own shooting skills;
- promote the Queen Charlotte’s Wood Activity Centre as a venue for Target Sports Activities in the District;
- support the development and maintenance of both Mersey Weaver District Archery and Air Rifle shooting teams;
- support the development and implementation of archery league/competition for Groups/Units in the District;
- support the development and implementation of target shooting competition for Groups/Units in the District;
- support the development of additional archery and air rifle resources and facilities within the District.
The ASU is managed by Martin Horsley
Interested in joining the ASU?
You do not need to be a current member of the scout Association to join an Active Support Unit. Therefore, if you are interested in helping to promote archery and air rifle shooting to young people and improve their skills then please consider joining our Target Sports ASU.